BIOS-FIN system = Algae Biofiltration to Biofuel Building Facade System

ORIGINAL: BIOS-FIN system
July 16, 2011
Posted by Charles Lee . 

I have recently been sharing research with a few talented individuals over at Scottish Bioenergy.  I also like some of the research I have recently seen coming from ASU from David Cardello .  Their photobioreactor style started me thinking about ways it could be incorporated into a building facade system.
  


I thought they would make excellent vertical light blades. The all green image shows this concept if applied to the Federal building in San Francisco.

   

Then I thought this system could be even more robust if it not only absorbed CO2 from the building occupants but it could also biofiltrate greywater waste. I think the salt flats in the bay that change color due to different strains of algae and bacteria colonies at different salinity periods is inspiring
.  

It made me think about the tiered cleaning pools of a living bio-filtration ponds structured as artificial wetlands.  What if GMO algae strains were color coded to show the different strains of algae in the different phases of filtration? I think it would be beautiful after producing a concept image.  So to wrap up this little experiment the resultant is a Light Filtering, CO2 absorbing, Greywater Purifying, Bioenergy producing Rainbow Beauty. The BIOS-FIN (Functionally Integrated NutraFilters)




Comments